|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Mad skillz: Jeff uses his lawyering skills to help defend Britta.
- A nice gesture: Abed and Troy do their signature handshake after they agree not to mess with each other anymore.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball:
- Winger speech:
Inside Borchert Hall
, Jeff delivers his closing arguments to a disciplinary tribunal formed to deal with Britta
who had cheated on her Spanish test:
- “Gentlemen, I'm sure you suspected that Ms. Perry was pretty odd before the recess but if you could have heard all the stuff she was telling me in the showers you would realize she is all the way out of her entire damn mind. She doesn't want to succeed because she doesn't think she can so she goes out of her way to fail. That's crazy! But, do we really want to make it a crime to be crazy at Greendale? I mean look at us. You two are arguing about status at a college that correspondent schools make fun of. Dean, you want so bad for this place to be Ivy League that you are putting us at risk of electrocution because everyone on this campus is nuts.”— Jeff
- “Not me!”— Leonard
- “Oh come on Leonard! If you're going to argue with me put on a bathing suit!”— Jeff
- “Busted! Hahaha!”— Leonard
- “If you want to rehabilitate your fellow inmate then you need to sentence her to staying here with us because if crazy people can't be at Greendale then where are we supposed to go?”— Jeff
- A poster featuring the Greendale Human Being on the Human Beings Swim Team can be seen beside the Judges Booth in Borchert Hall. The Human Being isn't introduced until the following episode Football, Feminism and You.
- Although the Luis Guzman statue is officially unveiled in this episode, it is clearly visible in the previous episode.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Returning faculty:
- Professor Duncan makes another appearance, participating in the school hearing.
- Dean Pelton returns as well; this is the first episode that he meets Jeff and Britta.
- Returning students:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Annie's Boobs: Annie mentions how her mother told her to stuff her bra as a cheerleader.
- Attention students!: Dean Pelton's announcement about the dedication ceremony for Luis Guzman's statue.
- Board certified tutor: Pierce claims to be an accomplished pianist and songwriter.
- Bon appetit!: Pierce suggests that Britta is a lesbian again.
- Deanotation: Pelton tells Jeff and Britta, "Dean ya later".
- Double entendre: At the tribunal, the Dean mentions he goes both ways on the side of any bias against Britta; he then has it stricken from the record and says he is impartial.
- NOOOOOO!: Annie screams when she thinks she's about to fail Spanish.
- Shut up, Leonard!: The debut of this joke is in this episode. Jeff tells Leonard (who is skinny dipping at the pool where Britta's hearing is at) to come on and to put on a bathing suit.
- Thrown together: Britta gets paper balls thrown at her when Chang tells the class to turn on her.
- WWBJD: Shirley says she had been telling everyone at her church what a sweet, little, caramel angel Abed is when she thinks he is racist.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- IMDb: Abed runs down a list of Luis Guzman's resume including the movies "Carlito's Way", "The Cowboy Way", "The Hard Way", and "Q&A". Kumar, Mr. Miyagi and Ron Weasley are movie characters mentioned by Chang, who also mentions "Frost/Nixon."
- Name that tune: "She'll be coming round the mountain" is the tune used for the Hawthorne Wipes ad. The school song Pierce writes is a rip-off of "The Way It Is" by Bruce Hornsby.
- Product placement: Metamucil, Ferrari.
- Shout out: Luis Guzman, President Obama, Danny Glover, Prince Charles.
- TV Guide: Cheers, M*A*S*H, Fawlty Towers, Maryanne, Jackee, Alan Dershowitz.
- In the Community The Complete First Season DVD commentaries for this episode, Donald Glover discusses the evolution of his character Troy and how different he is now compared to earlier episodes like this one. He suggests that Troy as he is now would totally fall for Abed's prank.
- Frequent background extra Long haired guy makes another of over 65 episode appearances. He's in numerous Spanish 101 class scenes most prominently sitting beside Jeff when Britta confesses to cheating.
- “Silencio. Por favor. Star-Burns. That means you.”— Chang
- “My name's Alex, dude.”— Star-Burns
- “Well maybe you should spend 5 hours sculpting that in your face.”— Chang
- “It's a tiny piece of paper. Okay? That's all it is. Tiny piece of paper...containing all the information covered on the test otherwise known as a crib sheet. Who did it? Maryanne...Grandpa...Jackee...Kumar? There's one Asian stereotype that does apply to me: whoever did this insulted my honor, and they've got 24 hours to come forward, or Mr. Miyagi here will wax off everyone's score, and THE WHOLE CLASS GETS A CERO! Except you, Toby.”— Chang
- “If I'm going to cheat, I'm not going to copy information from a book onto a piece of paper. That's practically learning, for God's sake.”— Jeff
- “It sounds like there are two biases, one on each side, and I go both ways.”— Dean Pelton
- “Britta, look at me. Look at me!”— Jeff
- “I am.”— Britta
- “No, look how handsome my face is.”— Jeff
- “Gentlemen, I'm sure you've suspected that Miss Perry was pretty odd before the recess, but if you could have heard all the stuff she told me in the shower, you would realize she is all the way out of her entire damn mind. She doesn't want to succeed because she doesn't think she can. So she goes out of her way to fail. That's crazy. But do we really want to make it a crime to be crazy at Greendale? I mean, look at us. You two are arguing about status at college that correspondent schools make fun of. Dean, you want so bad for this place to be Ivy League that you are putting us at risk of electrocution because everyone at on this campus is nuts.”— Jeff, delivering his patented Winger speech
- “Is this Bruce Hornsby's?”— Abed
- “Yup.”— Jeff
- “Does he know he stole it?”— Abed
- “I don't think so. Let him enjoy it”— Jeff
- “Can we get sued?”— Abed
- “Not sure.”— Jeff
- “...Greendale's the way it goes.”— Pierce
- “Yeah, they got us.”— Jeff