|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- And we're back: The study group returns from Winter vacation. It is also the return of the show itself from the holiday break.
- Chang asked about joining the group at the start of the semester ("Anthropology 101") and brings up the promise Jeff personally made to consider his membership.
- Troy tells Pierce about the voice mail Chang sent to him on Halloween ("Epidemiology") which hinted that Chang hooked up with Shirley.
- In the Season One episode "Introduction to Statistics", Shirley says that Andre leaving her was the best thing that ever happened to her, and if he ever came crawling back, she would turn him down.
- Googly eyes:
- Andre and Shirley are officially dating after hooking up during Labour Day of the previous year.
- Annie has a crush on Rich and must deal with Jeff's jealous reaction to it.
- In an editing discontinuity, the word "PENIS" is visible on the chalkboard (4'30") before Prof. Ian Duncan writes it a few seconds later.
- When Shirley and Britta comment on Professor Duncan's tardiness, the chalkboard is shown and it is covered in writing which is the exact same as from the episode "Anthropology 101". Professor Duncan enters a few seconds later and the board has changed to say simply "Anthropology. Introduction to the Study of Man." in the upper right corner.
- Jeff mentions that he knows Rich for almost two years; Jeff met Rich at near the end of his first year, in "Beginner Pottery." This means that Jeff knows Rich for almost one year, not two.
- Mad skillz: Rich demonstrates his kettle corn making skills in the end tag.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball:
- The group is trying to guess the identity Annie's crush by comparing students to celebrities; when Abed says they should actually learn people's names, Jeff responds with "I agree with brown Jamie Lee Curtis." In the Season Three episode "Contemporary Impressionists", Abed dresses up as Jamie Lee Curtis to pay off his debt to The Doppel Gang.
- When Andre visits the group at lunch, Andre tells Pierce that he has two years left to live. Pierce would end up dying two years after this episode aired as actor Chevy Chase quit the show.
- A nice gesture: Abed compliments Jeff's wit by pointing a finger at him and saying "Pew!". Chang delivers his slow clap several times.
- Winger speech: Jeff delivers two speeches in this episode, one lobbying on Chang's behalf and the other to Rich, seeking help to become perfect.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- First appearance:
- Andre Bennett.
- Quendra with a "QU" makes her debut as Jeff's nominee for the newest study group member.
- Fat Neil makes his debut providing Britta with concert tickets after she agrees to flash him.
- Returning students: Rich returns much to Jeff's annoyance.
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Awww!: The whole Anthropology class coos when Rich tells Duncan about his work with seeing eye dogs.
- Chang says, "Chang the subject."
- Chang says "Chang your point of view."
- Chang says "Guilty as Changed."
- Jeff accidentally says "Changry."
- Gasp: Annie gasps when Jeff accidentally uses Changuage. Somebody, probably Annie again, gasps when Professor Duncan announces that he is going sober.
- It's a mixer, it's a mixer!: Abed pretends to be a malfunctioning robot to get out of Chang's question on why they didn't contact him.
- Troy and Abed in the Morning!: Troy and Abed do their fake morning talk show with special guest Rich in the episode end tag, again annoying Jeff with their antics.
- Whoops!: Troy accidentally tells Pierce about Shirley and Chang's Halloween hookup.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- IMDb: "Star Wars" is mentioned by Quendra when she tries to pander for votes.
- Name that tune: Running Though Raining by Ludwig Göransson plays in this episode, while Jeff is indeed, running in the street, although it is raining.
- Product placement: Tropical Skittles is all the study group could scrounge up for food at their impromptu mixer.
- Shout out: Various celebrities are mentioned when the study group guess who Annie's latest crush is:
- TV Guide: The Transformers cartoon is mentioned along with the characters Blue Streak and Optimus Prime.
- Use your allusion:
- Jeff guesses Annie's latest crush is someone he calls "Jean Claude Van Overbite" alluding to the action star Jean-Claude Van Damme.
- Troy says that he "checked all of Pierce's wardrobes for portals to magical worlds". In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the main characters travel to the land of Narnia through a large wardrobe.
- Rich's kettlecorn spoon in the end tag is carved from an oak tree in his back yard that was hit by lightning. This is from the movie The Natural where Roy Hobbs makes the tree into a "magical" baseball bat.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Parody: The end of the episode, after Abed tells Jeff about Annie's text, is reminiscent of a common trope in romantic films, in which the male protagonist runs through the rain to find his female love interest, whom he has lost, to deliver a heartfelt message in an attempt to win her over. The audience is meant to assume that Jeff has come to visit Annie's apartment to tell her that he is in love with her, until it is revealed that he is actually speaking to Rich.
- Résumé: Andre (Played by Malcolm Jamal-Warner) says his father gave him the sweater he is wearing, which is a reference to The Cosby Show and the sweaters that the character Cliff Huxtable wore.
In an interview with AV club's Todd VanDerWerff, "Community" creator Dan Harmon referred to this episode as being the most "normal" and as "mainstream" as the show could get. He didn't consider this a negative as he felt the episode was good and stated: "It should be held up in approaching any debate where the show should be watered down, weirded out, or a combination of the two."
- “Jeff, you did say we would let him in eventually.”— Annie
- “That was before he started using his name as a pun. It makes me so Changry. God, it's happening to me!”— Jeff
- “Remember that Halloween party that none of us can remember?”— Troy
- “I don't remember anything that we can remember.”— Pierce
- “How old is he again?”— Jeff
- “Thirty-something I'm assuming. He has a land line and uses the word 'album'.”— Annie
- “Pierce, if someone had sex with Chang and they get to not remember that happening, that's a gift from God.”— Troy