|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Googly eyes: Jeff and Slater's relationship comes to an end although she makes a return in the season finale episode "Pascal's Triangle Revisited".
- History lesson:
- Chang reveals he had a twin but ate her in utero, the name of the twin is revealed in "First Chang Dynasty" as "Connie".
- We learn about and meet the families of several group members: Shirley's two sons, Pierce's stepdaughter, Abed's father and cousin, and Troy's grandmother.
- That just happened: Jeff tells Amber about Pierce's encounters with Mike ("Comparative Religion") and Vaughn ("Home Economics").
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Familiar faces:
- Returning students: Star-Burns appears along with his son who is dressed more conservatively than his father.
- Returning faculty: Dean Pelton and Michelle Slater return.
- First appearance:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Changuage: Chang calls Star-Burns' son a virgin and then punctuates the insult by saying "Cha-chang!"
- Come sail away!: Troy starts to cry when Britta is spanked by his grandmother.
- Disney face: Annie successfully uses her doe eyes on Jeff to guilt him into doing right by Pierce.
- Gay, he's so gay!: Amber mentions that Pierce told her Jeff was gay. During Pictionary, Pierce thinks Jeff's answer was gay.
- I hate Glee!: Jeff tells Pierce that he hates Glee and doesn't understand the appeal of the show.
- My other half: Troy finishes Abed's sentences (and pie).
- Thrown together: Jeff gets paper balls thrown at him when he says that everyone at Greendale is his family.
- Butt Stuff: In the end scene, Troy pushes the wrong buttons while stuck in the vending machine. It's implied the coil is pushed into his butt.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- Alert nerd!: Chang makes several references to Star Wars when he calls Abed's cousin Abra "phantom menace" and then asks how her trade embargo with Naboo is going.
- IMDb: Jeff mentions The Little Mermaid.
- Product placement: The board game Pictionary is featured in this episode.
- Shout out: Shirley reveals that her son, Jordan, is named after "the 14 time NBA all-star."
- Troy and Abed's end tag hijinks in this episode is referenced in the Season Three episode "Remedial Chaos Theory". A refrigerator in their new apartment is decorated with a vending machine poster that has Troy as one of the item selections.
- “Troy didn't tell me you were such a knockout.”— Britta
- “What do you mean by that?”— Nana Barnes
- “Oh, come on. I'm sure you've broken a few hearts in your time.”— Britta
- “Oh. Tell me, how many men do you think I've laid with? Who are you?”— Nana Barnes
- “I'm Britta and I have offended you and I am sorry. Is there anything I can get you?”— Britta
- “Yes. Get me a switch.”— Nana Barnes
- “A what?”— Britta
- “She's not family, Nana. You can't make her get a switch.”— Troy
- “She can make me get it. I just have to know what it is first.”— Britta
- “A switch is a stick she can use to whoop you with. Cherish, Britta. Cherish.”— Troy
- “I think it's cool that she's got her own style of discipline. Nana's old school.”— Britta
- “Yeah, my mom told me there'd be white people that did this. With the pocket watches and coffee grinders, and pretending to be into steamboats. But let's get this straight. This is real life. My Nana is gonna whoop you.”— Troy
- “Not unless I find her a switch. How about this?”— Britta
- “Yeah, that's a great switch, Britta. Very hip. Should hurt a lot.”— Troy
- “How much effort do I rate?”— Annie
- “For you, I'd break a light sweat.”— Jeff
- “Good. I need a favor. Help Pierce with his step daughter?”— Annie
- “You're becoming dangerous, Annie. It's those doe eyes. Disappointing you is like choking the Little Mermaid with a bike chain.”— Jeff
- “'Señor Chang'? Ben, do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?”— Ben Chang's brother, Rabbi Chang, wearing yarmulke and prayer shawl
- “Off to the bathroom, Stepdad.”— Amber
- [She kisses Pierce on the cheek and leaves]
- “I've never been called 'Stepdad'.”— Pierce
- “I don't think anyone has.”— Jeff
- “Have a family. Share life. That and learning computers are two things you can't knock out at the end.”— Pierce