|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- And we're back!: This episode resolves the cliffhanger from the Season Two finale "For A Few Paintballs More". Pierce returns to the group without much drama except on Jeff's end.
- Winger speech: At the beginning of the episode, Jeff convinces the study group to not let Pierce back in because they are all "regular friends" now. He then convinces them at the end of the episode to let Pierce back in.
- The British Sci-fi TV show Inspector Spacetime.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Annie's Boobs: The monkey is mentioned but not shown. After Annie tries to tell Jeff about Abed's new favorite show, he tells her to "Can it, boobs!".
- Awww!: Annie and Shirley coo when Pierce refers to the study table as having some sort of magic.
- Deanotation: Dean Pelton plans to be "a lean, mean Dean-ing machine." A minute later he says, "Homie don't Dean this."
- Double entendre: Pelton asks the security guards to brainstorm about the monkey problem and spray solutions all over him. Laybourne tells the Dean to bring his head to his appendage.
- Like an evil genie: Jeff's statement about Pierce never coming back is immediately followed by Pierce materializing in the room: "I'm back".
- Man crush: Dean Pelton unnecessarily touches Jeff's shoulder as he leaves the room.
- My other half: Troy makes an ambiguous statement about a big development in his and Abed's relationship that turns out to be an announcement that they plan on moving in together.
- Nice outfit: Dean Pelton's Diana Ross and "serious Dean" outfits.
- NOOOOO!: Abed screams twice when he sees that Cougartown is pushed to mid-season and the "original show" it's based off of, "Cougarton Abbey" lasts only six episodes.
- Screw you guys: Jeff gets kicked out of Biology and stops studying with the group. Pierce started the episode out of the group but rejoins, filling the vacant spot in Biology. Then the group nearly votes Pierce out again but is stopped by Jeff.
- Shut up, Leonard!: Leonard mocks Jeff for eating by himself in the cafeteria. Jeff tells him to shut up and says he heard about his prescription socks. Leonard raspberries back.
- WWBJD?: Shirley suggests baptizing Abed while he's in a catatonic state.
- You're the worst!: After Troy is angry that Britta has "broken" Abed, he says she should found a ruiners club since she ruins everything. She then ruins his analogy about her ruining a ruiner's club.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Everyone's a critic:
- The opening musical number has lyrics which are indirect responses to criticisms of the last season.
- Dean Pelton's comment about the school year being exactly the same as the last year again references criticisms of the previous season.
- Homage: When Jeff gets hit by the monkey gas, he experiences a hallucination similar to the one the character David Bowman had in"2001: A Space Odyssey". The study table is used to represent the famous Monolith from the film.
- IRL: In the DVD commentary, Gillian Jacobs reveals that, "Danny Pudi, in real life, is addicted to ChapStick," and it has been incorporated into the character of Abed.
- Parody: Abed's new favorite show "Inspector Spacetime" is a poke at the long running BBC sci-fi show "Doctor Who", which first aired in November 1963. Britta introduces Abed to a show called "Cougarton Abbey", an homage to both Cougar Town and Downton Abbey a popular British show aired on the ITV network.
- Résumé: The Dean vows to end the "National Lampoonery" antics that seem to happen regularly at Greendale. Pierce, who was out of the group at that moment, is played by Chevy Chase, who starred in several National Lampoon's films. Not only does the Dean fail to end the hijinks, Chevy immediately returns to rejoin the group.
- Up against the wall: Dean Pelton's statement about having a smaller budget this year is reference to the smaller budget Community had for Season Three.
- Jim Rash is elevated to a regular cast member beginning with this episode.
- “We're really doing this without Pierce? It's so sad.”— Annie
- “Yeah, we have parted ways with our closest, oldest, craziest, most racist, oldest, elderly, crazy friend, and he's not coming back.”— Jeff
- “I'm back.”— Pierce
- “Oh, Star-Burns. I see you added a lizard to your special hat and sideburns. Am I missing anything?”— Shirley
- “Yeah, The human being underneath it all. But no one's really interested in that, are they?”— Star-Burns
- “No.”— Shirley
- “If I wanted to run a monkey hotel I'd install a banana buffet. I'd use vines as elevators, and I'd put tail holes in the bathrobes and I'd lower all the shower knobs.”— Dean Pelton
- “You've really thought this through.”— Sgt. Nunez
- “I can't believe Jeff attacked a table with a fire axe and still only managed to be the second craziest man in the room.”— Shirley