|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Catchphrase: "Cool...cool, cool, cool.l." - Abed, "Hot...hot, hot, hot" - Evil Abed.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball:
- Abed seems to be losing touch with reality and drifting away from Troy.
- When Dean Pelton suggests security interns Chang blurts out, "You won't regret this unless I rise up against you." Later we see Chang hatch his scheme to raise an army and replace the Dean with an impersonator.
- In the Season One episode "Football, Feminism and You" Troy says, "That dude looks like Moby," in reference to Dean Pelton. Chang notices the resemblance when he encounters Faux-by at the Bar Mitzvah.
- In the Season Two episode "Asian Population Studies", Jeff calls Abed "Brown Jamie Lee Curtis". In this episode, he is impersonating that actress.
- Abed reminds Troy of their agreement that friends don't lie to one another, mentioning the airdate of the episode "Advanced Criminal Law" as the day they made that deal: October 15th, 2009.
- A nice gesture: Troy tries to give Abed their signature handshake, but Abed doesn't respond.
- That just happened: Jeff says that he is seeing a new therapist. He had mentioned previously in "Regional Holiday Music" that he was planning on seeing a new one.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?: When Annie tells the group about Abed's impressionist addiction, Britta points at each study group member and asks "Intervention?", "Intervention?", "Intervention?".
- Changuage: Chang asks his new security force if they are ready to "Chang" the world.
- Disney face: Chang tries unsuccessfully to use this on Pelton.
- It's a mixer, it's a mixer!: Abed says he and Troy made a deal that friends never lie to each other on October 15, 2009.
- Man crush: Dean Pelton falls down and has convulsions after seeing Jeff in aviator sunglasses.
- Nice outfit: The study group impersonates various celebrities:
- Shut up, Leonard!: Uncharacteristically, Leonard tells Jeff he's looking good. Jeff replies, "Thanks Leonard. For that compliment and for your service to this country".
- You're the worst!: Shirley mutters "the worst," when Britta makes a terrible play on words.
|List of Pop culture references
|Recurring or debuting Pop culture references in this episode:
- IMDb: Precious Castaway, Lorenzo's Oil and Patch Adams are all named.
- Name that tune: The Lonely Man, the end theme from the 80s TV show The Incredible Hulk, plays when Jeff wakes up after his hulk-out.
- Shout out:
- Dean Pelton compares Chang's pouty face to Renée Zellweger.
- Jeff mentions something about Danny Thomas.
- Troy credits Sapphire as the author of the novel Push.
- Celebrity impersonations abound: French Stewart (played by the real French Stewart), Anne Hathaway (Annie), Quincy Jones (the guy who makes the fishsticks), Ving Rhames, Michael Chiklis, Geena Davis, Tommy Lee Jones, Tom Hanks, Walter Matthau, Lorenzo Lamas, Cher, Moby, Morgan Freeman, Bono, Sean Connery, Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson, Robin Williams, Richard Gere, Julia Roberts, Rutger Hauer.
- Use your allusion:
- Well-read: Abed got Shirley a copy of Push signed by the author.
|List of Meta References
|Recurring or debuting Meta references in this episode:
- IRL: Jeff impersonates Ryan Seacrest, with whom Joel McHale has longstanding friendly feud.
|Professor Ian Duncan is not seen during the 2011-2012 semester at Greendale but a book he authored is seen being held by Britta Perry who declared her major to be Psychology.
- Before the credits as the gang gathers in the study room, the chalkboard behind Britta and Abed reads:
"HELP US HELP YOU!
To avoid late charges on overdue books!
If ya got a late book, bring it back A.S.A.P.! Thanks."
... and when we first see the whiteboard behind Annie and Shirley it reads in part:
" [top part cannot be seen]...card at the registration desk! And be "GREEN" this semester!"
- Underneath the message is a simple drawing of a tall tree and a shorter tree. Then, moments later when Jeff enters later than everyone else, the same whiteboard has a different message, which now reads:
"New schedules posted in the lobby. If you need a schedule please see the receptionist at the front desk. -thanks.
All scheduled time requests [illegible] with the receptionist.
All request should be made at least 24 hours in advance."
When the angle changes to show Annie and Shirley watching Jeff go to his seat (and through the end of this studyroom scene), we see the whiteboard again has the "GREEN" message with the trees drawing.
- When Vinnie (the "French Stewart impersonator" actually being played by the real French Stewart) meets the group in the cafeteria, he points out which star each study group member resembles- except for Abed. Then, at the bar mitzvah each member shows up as an impersonator for the star Vinnie said they resembled- and Abed dresses up as and impersonates Jamie Lee Curtis. In an earlier episode (add episode name), someone referred to Abed as looking like a "brown Jamie Lee Curtis"!
- At the end of the episode when Abed is in the Dreamatorium alone, he is flying his version of the "Millennium Falcon" starship from "Star Wars". We see that the starship's registry on the outside of the ship reads, "SS ABED 1373".
- “Baby Ben got to be Baby Jesus in our church's nativity play, and Andre was Joseph, and Jordan was one of the wise men, and I was in charge of casting.”— Shirley
- “What is this I hear about a tranquilizer gun? If you had hit a small student, they could have died!”— Dean Pelton
- “I wouldn't do that. I have a heavy flashlight for them.”— Chang
- “Maybe you can bring on some students as security interns. I'll let you offer them a credit in safety or math or something.”— Dean Pelton
- “Thank you, sir. You won't regret this unless I rise up against you. I don't know why I said that.”— Chang
- “I was thinking, you know that person that you study for your psych class? Maybe that should be me.”— Jeff
- “Mm-mm. No way. You are way out of my league, diagnostically speaking. I'm gonna go with someone a little less complicated. Like Abed.”— Britta