|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: When Annie says she records every class, Pierce says "Spoiler Alert!", foreshadowing the recorder becoming Chang's undoing.
- Mad skillz: This episode shows Troy's plumbing skills for the first time. In the Season 2 finale "For A Few Paintballs More", he uses his abilities to help in the paintball war versus City College. In Season 3, his abilities becomes a major plot point.
- History lesson: Annie explains to the group how she and her rehab group drifted apart and never saw each other again. We later briefly see her rehab group in the Season Four episode "Heroic Origins".
- A nice gesture: Abed does his fist pump when he thinks Troy has gone off to become a plumber; he does it again when he finds out he passed the finals in the episode's end tag.
- Express tuition aisle: Chang, the group's Spanish teacher, is revealed to be an unqualified fraud.
- Jeff states in this episode that he is on a tight four year schedule to replace his Bachelors degree, as he had made it clear in "Pilot" that he needed a Bachelors to get his law license back. However, in "Advanced Introduction to Finality" he graduates from Greendale with an Associates Degree in Education, with the requirement now being that he needed any degree from any post-secondary institution in order to resume his work as a lawyer.
- Annie almost manages to charm Abed with her "Disney face". Later episodes would establish Abed as being face blind.
- Catchphrase: Shirley says "You go girl." to herself.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Attention students!: Dean Pelton makes the announcements using the "soothing sounds of nature".
- Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?: Annie asks the rest of the group if they want to take Anthropology 101 next year by repeating the word "Anthropology" three times while pointing at them.
- Disney face: Jeff calls out Annie for using her "Disney Face" to manipulate the group.
- PCness: Dean Pelton mentions that he didn't ask Chang to prove his Spanish teaching credentials for fear of appearing racist.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- Apparently, Britta is the only study group member who disliked the sci-fi blockbuster Avatar.
- Jeff convinces Abed to look away from Annie by calling her The Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark.
- Shout out: Jeff tells the study group to imagine Annie as character actor Paul Giamatti.
- TV Guide: The gritty urban drama The Wire is mentioned by Troy; apparently, he finds it hard to understand. Actor Michael Kenneth Williams, who portrayed Omar Little on The Wire, joined Community's third season to portray Professor Marshall Kane.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Everyone's a critic: When Jeff sees Chang destroying his car, he asks him about the safety goggles he is wearing to which Chang replies "safety first." This is an indirect reference to criticisms of the paintball episode which had the characters not wearing safety goggles; in paintball competitions, it's a requirement.
- Parody: The episode contains a Good Will Hunting parody with Troy's plumbing storyline that also directly references the movie itself. In the DVD commentaries, Dan Harmon makes his dislike for the movie known. Shirley's comments about the film in the episode can be seen as his own opinion about the movie. The equation shown on the blackboard before Troy fixes the water fountain, is taken from the movie.
- Résumé: Pierce says "Tierra Del Fuego" in response to Dr. Escodera's question to the Spanish class. This is a meta reference to Chevy Chase's 1985 film "Fletch". Chase played the lead role in the movie who had a habit of using a similar phrase in response to Spanish words.
- Up against the wall: Jeff's "unmovable appointment" on "May 23rd 2013" is a reference to a possible date when Community's fourth season finale could have aired. As each year of the show represents a school year, the fourth season was to be when he graduated from Greendale. This was referenced in this episode when Jeff stated he had a four-year plan to graduate. However, the predicted air date did not occur. This was due to an abbreviated Season Four which only had thirteen episodes and the premiere being moved from October 19, 2012 to February 7, 2013. The actual air date for the Season Four finale which had Jeff's graduation from Greendale was on May 9, 2013.
- Jeff and Abed identify Jeff's Lexus as a 2002 model. The Lexus in question is a second generation IS which began production in 2005.
- “Someone make her a dude, so I can punch her.”— Troy
- “Now she is going to make the Disney face. Her lip is gonna quiver, and her eyes will flutter, but they won't ever actually close, BUT DO NOT feel sorry for her. She stole a year of our lives, and we're right to be pissed.”— Jeff
- “The only thing that makes sense is this (points at his head). Learning...thoughts...so I can think and get a student loan and grind my own coffee and understand HBO.”— Troy
- “If anyone asks, I sent you outside to learn things.”— Chang