|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Previously: It's mentioned on Britta's Campus Connect profile as well as the Season One episode "Pascal's Triangle Revisited" that she had a bad experience with a man in a dinosaur costume and in this episode she wears a T-Rex outfit.
- Mad skillz: Chang's ability to be the only one to know what Shirley is dressed for Halloween.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: This episode sets up the story arc between Shirley and Chang and also a subplot with Annie and Rich. The ABBA soundtrack alludes to the "Mama Mia" type story arc of not knowing if Chang or Andre is the father of Shirley's baby.
- Identity crisis: Troy realizes how much he has changed from a jock to a nerd due to his friendship with Abed and tries to adopt a more mature persona.
- Replay: Chang repeats the phrase "Ya bit? Ya bit?" which he used back in his first appearance in the Season One episode Spanish 101.
- A nice gesture: Troy and Abed do their signature handshake while they are both zombies.
- Discontinuity: Even if the government managed to erase all the students' memories of the night, there would still be plenty of evidence of what happened just from all the injuries the students suffered, particularly the bite marks. Also, despite claims that no one remembers anything about that night, Abed somehow later recalls in "Paradigms of Human Memory" an incident involving Jeff and Britta. Chang somehow managed to have sex with Shirley, take pictures of it with his camera phone, and send a message to Troy's phone all while holding back the restroom door that a horde of infected students were beating down upon.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Returning students:
- Familiar face: Officer Cackowski shows up at the end of the episode to investigate what happened at the party.
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Attention students!: The Dean uses the public address system for playing Abba music and his personal notes.
- Fanservice: Troy is shirtless in his Sexy Dracula costume for most of the episode.
- Nice outfit:
- NOOOOOO!: Troy screams this after watching Abed being taken down by a group of infected students.
- A dollop of whipped irony: Dr. Rich tells the uninfected group that if anyone is bit and doesn't leave now, they put the group at risk. He had been bitten.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- This episode serves as a parody of various zombie and horror movies, with the infected students mimicking stereotypical zombies and various tropes of the genre being mocked.
- Abed's line "Be the first black man to make it to the end", directed at Troy, is a nod to the common trope of the Horror film genre where they kill the black characters first.
- Résumé: In this episode, Pierce is dressed as Captain Kirk from "Star Trek". This is not the first time Chevy Chase has dressed as a character from the series; in his stint on SNL, he played Spock in a famous skit about Trek's cancellation.
- On the Community The Complete Second Season DVD commentaries Dan Harmon mentions that the original music for the episode was "Ghostbusters". Also, he and Donald Glover mention that Troy's line "You punched a lady bee!" was ad-libbed.
- Frequent background extra Long haired guy makes another of over 65 episode appearances. He's wearing a white t-shirt with the word "COSTUME" on it and is behind Pierce when he bites Star-burns.
- “Leonard, you better back that pumpkin ass up or I will make a pie.”— Shirley
- “Make me proud, Troy. Be the first black man to make it to the end.”— Abed
- “Abed... I love you.”— Troy
- “I know.”— Abed