|In the study room, Annie brings a problem to the attention of the group. The door behind the library is locked at 5:00, which means most of them have to walk all the way to the front to enter; she asks that they move their meetings to 4:30. Troy and Britta immediately object, stating that they both have classes at that time, and they can't reschedule. Annie suggests that someone stand by the back door to let the rest of them in. When Shirley nominates Pierce, the group wonders where he is as he has yet to arrive to their meeting. They begin to think the worst has happened and are relieved when he finally shows up. Britta notices a long brown hair on Jeff's coat and teases him about it. He inadvertently admits that he's been seeing someone but refuses to reveal who it is.
|Afterwards, Troy acts furtively as he heads towards his next class. He then enters the school's dance studio and greets the students before quickly stripping down to his leotard and joining in on their practice. Elsewhere, Jeff is in the hallway waiting for Professor Slater. After some playful bantering, he follows her into her office, and they begin to make out. They quickly break apart when they are interrupted by Dean Pelton who has transcripts for Slater to look over. Oblivious to what they had been doing, he warns them about the dangers of student/teacher fraternization and proceeds to go on at length about their attractiveness which makes both of them uncomfortable.
|Back at the dance studio, Troy is praised by his teacher Madame LeClair for his efforts during practice of the upcoming recital. With class over, he is about to leave when he runs into Britta who is arriving for the next class. Once they both get over their mutual shock, they admit to each other that they've been secretly taking dance classes for awhile. Britta believes that they must stop hiding and come clean to their friends. She suggests that they invite them to their recital to which Troy hesitatingly agrees. Later, Jeff is in the library when he is approached by Slater and pulled behind a stack of bookcases for a kiss. Jeff is at reluctant at first, fearing the study group could see them but eventually gives in. His fears are proven correct when Pierce makes the study group's presence known outside of the window.
|Jeff and Slater ask the group to keep their relationship a secret. Abed notes that since Jeff is the de facto "Dad" of the group Slater is seen as their new Mom. Many in the group seem uncomfortable with the new couple but everyone agrees to keep their secret. Britta then grabs Troy's hand and tells the group they have an announcement, revealing that she has been taking a tap class and invites everyone to the recital. The group finds this humorous and ironic because, in Abed's words, "the act of dancing is considered both vulnerable and feminine," neither word being apt to describe Britta. Upon seeing this reaction Troy chickens out, explaining that his announcement was that he knew Britta's secret. Dean Pelton interrupts to confront Jeff after learning about his relationship with Slater, Pierce having immediately posted the details to Twitter. The group files out and Britta tells Troy how disappointed she is because, "a real man doesn't bail on his friends."
|Sensing that Britta is upset, Shirley assumes the cause is Jeff and Slater and tries to comfort her. Britta, actually upset about Troy's change of heart, asserts that the couple won't stay together now that their secret is out. In the Dean's office, Pelton fills out a questionnaire with Jeff and Slater regarding their relationship. When asked if they are in a relationship, Jeff is noncommittal while Slater gives a definitive yes. Both are surprised at the other's answer and a disappointed Slater leaves. Jeff follows her to her office and tries to explain himself. He admits to being scared that if they make anything official between them it might make a possible break-up that much messier. Despite that, he tells Slater he's willing to take that risk as he's enjoyed their time together. Slater ultimately decides to give Jeff a second chance but not before messing with him a bit.
|Backstage before the recital, Britta learns from Annie that Jeff and Slater are an official couple now, even filing paperwork with the Dean. This news hits her harder than expected. She freezes up during the elementary tap performance when she sees Jeff hold Slater's hand in the audience. Troy, watching from off stage, strips to his dancing costume and comes to her rescue. The music quickly changes and they do a modern dance number, to the delight of all. After the show, everyone congratulates Britta. Abed is interested in learning to dance but doesn't want to put in the time required. Pierce congratulates Troy for his gutsy and creative way to tell the world he is gay. Jeff tells Britta that having a girl as a friend helped him grow and he is now able to have a steady girlfriend. After everyone left the theater, Abed started tap dancing on stage.
|Abed helps Troy with a crossword puzzle seemingly based on the names of the study group members. Jeff explains that the pattern is things you can see on TV although the use of the word "pierce" is a misdirect.
|List of Running gags|
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
|List of Pop culture references|
|References to popular culture in this episode:
|List of Meta references|
|Meta references in this episode:
- When Annie attempts to move the study group time to 4:30 both Britta and Troy object to this change due to each of them being in a secret dance class. However, they are in different classes (which are generally at least an hour long) so the schedule change shouldn't have affected them both.
- In the Community The Complete First Season DVD commentaries, Dan Harmon mentions that he wrote the scene where Jeff and Michelle use Jim Belushi as the yard stick for their relationship.
- “If you like her why would you want to keep her a secret? Don't you want us to meet her?”— Annie
- “We have an agreement to keep it low key.”— Jeff
- “That's ridiculous. Obviously it's a guy.”— Pierce
- “You're wrong, Pierce. It's two guys. Sometimes I do wish you were dead.”— Jeff
- “Thank you.”— Pierce
- “You know, we laugh, but the fact is student-teacher relationships do happen and they are a magnet for lawsuits so we do stay vigilant. In fact, physically attractive students and faculty are actually placed on a watch list and are ranked by their potential to incite fraternization.”— Dean Pelton
- “You rank people by how hot they are?”— Jeff
- “You got it. Number two.”— Dean Pelton
- “Dean Pelton.”— Slater
- “Yes, professor seven-uh Slater”— Dean Pelton
- “You guys be extra careful, now. Two people of your rankings in this small room, with this type of lighting and, his upper body, and what her heels and hemline are doing to enhance what were already quite a few favors from God, it's all the more important to keep it tasteful.”— Dean Pelton
- “Oh my god, How can you do this to me? I'm so disappointed in you”— Britta (after finding out that Troy won't be in the dance recital and is dropping the class)
- “You don't get to talk to me like, You are not Shirley, and Shirley's not my mom.”— Troy
- “Can I just ask as a divorced black housewife, what part of being a single, white, slacker makes you people so jaded?”— Shirley
- “Ooooh! 'You people'?! What do you mean 'you people'?! Can not believe I got to say that.”— Britta
- “It's the little things, isn't it?”— Shirley
- “First question: How long have you been doing it? Oh! Not 'it', I mean this, dating.”— Dean Pelton
- “A few weeks.”— Slater
- “And, how long have you been 'doing it'?”— Dean Pelton
- “I got freaked out by that boyfriend label. I'm afraid of commitment.”— Jeff
- “How original.”— Michelle Slater
- “Look, the biggest truths aren't original. Truth is ketchup, it's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds, it's to be within reach. So the truth is, I get claustrophobic when things get official!”— Jeff}}
|Season One Episodes|
14. "Interpretive Dance"
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five • Season Six|