|Recurring or debuting plot points in this episode:
- Discontinuity: Leonard says he doesn't care what YouTube is but in Season Three he uses the site for his video reviews of food.
- Express tuition aisle: Duncan still has no intention of actually teaching his students anthropology, so they just watch YouTube videos.
- Mad skillz: Troy's rapping and Abed's filmmaking skills are shown.
- Middle Eastern Magic 8 Ball: Pierce's estrangement from the study group which becomes a recurring theme for him in Season Two starts in this episode.
|Recurring or debuting characters in this episode:
- Returning students:
- Returning faculty: Ian Duncan returns as the teacher for Anthropology.
- A sweet ride: Dean Pelton's Prius is shown.
|List of Running gags
|Recurring or debuting running gags in this episode:
- Bon Appetit!: Pierce calls Britta a lesbian again.
- I'm Batman!: Abed takes on a messianic persona.
- Turning it into a snake: Britta dances with Troy for Shirley's rap video.
- WWBJD: There are dozens of instances of Shirley preaching to Abed and other students. For example, she says to two students in the hallway that Jesus died for our sins.
|List of Pop culture references
|References to popular culture in this episode:
- Shout out:
- Abed notes film critic Ben Lyons' use of hyperbole regarding I Am Legend.
- Filmmaker Charlie Kaufman is mentioned twice. Dean Pelton is a big fan but Shirley seems to find his work overly complicated.
- Dean Pelton found Ricardo Montalban captivating in his role as Khan.
- Use your allusion:
- Several scenes from the episode mirror passages from the Bible. Shirley confronting Abed is similar to how the Pharisees questioned Jesus. Abed's prayer that his film will be taken away from him is similar to Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. The final scene in his film is clearly inspired by paintings of the Last Supper.
- Pierce's story line with the Hipsters is reminiscent of numerous coming-of-age teen movies: he meets a group of rebel misfits, is welcomed into the group, begins misbehaving and arguing with his parents, gets in over his head, is abandoned by his new friends, caught by authorities and then his family is there for him at the end.
- Well-read: Abed read the New Testament of the Christian Bible overnight.
|List of Meta references
|Meta references in this episode:
- Everyone's a critic: Some see this episode as Dan Harmon's commentary on the show itself and the possible overuse of meta on Community.
- Résumé: Professor Duncan shows a YouTube video with someone farting a laser. The clip is taken from the first episode of Laser Fart, a series of short videos Community creator Dan Harmon wrote and starred in for his monthly film festival, Channel 101.
- Up against the wall: Abed occasionally stares straight into the camera. At one point he says, "The film is the story and the story is us. We are the film."
Frequent background extras Long haired guy
and Jeremy make another of over 65 and 45 episode appearances respectively. Both are in numerous hallway and Anthropology 101 class scenes. Long haired guy is behind Troy and Abed when all are watching the Youtube videos in class, is behind the hipsters in the cafeteria and, is in the crowd when Abed does his crane shot.
- “This subject's lack of definition cuts both ways. If farts are fair game, so is God.”— Professor Duncan "teaching" Anthropology
- “Oh, hey, yeah, wooo, it's meta now. 'Cept here's the thing: I'm a devout Christian and you guys are feeding into this poor boy's delusions.”— Shirley
- “It's so cool. She's an actual real life Pharisee.”— Eric
- “Hey, bitch. Why don't you go back to your temple.”— Red headed girl
- “Leonard? You're hanging out with Leonard? You know I hate him.”— Jeff
- “Everybody hates him, that's why he's cool.”— Pierce
- “I'm not sure that I want to get it. Take a break from these new friends of yours. They've got you riled up.”— Britta
- “That's what Leonard said you'd say.”— Pierce
- “Well, Leonard is not a part of this study group. So you apologize right now to... What? I'm not your father.”— Jeff
- “Hi, I'm Pierce Hawthorne's emergency contact.”— Jeff
- “You're here to pick him up?”— Receptionist
- “No, I'm here to be removed as his emergency contact.”— Jeff