|Starting in the Season One episode Spanish 101, the opening credits to Community features the song "At Least It Was Here" by the 88 as well as a computer generated paper fortune teller . The fortune teller opens up and reveals the names of the cast before closing up into a paper football on a school desk that has the creator of the show Dan Harmon's name carved into it. The fortune teller is used throughout the show's run and has been altered a few times to coincide with the theme of a specific episode.|
The opening credits
The original opening the cast is represented by the following:
"Epidemiology": The Season Two Halloween episode has monsters representing the cast. The same intro (with an additional drawing for Jim Rash) was used for the subsequent Halloween episodes in Season Three with "Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps" and in Season Four with "Paranormal Parentage".
"Advanced Dungeons and Dragons": This opening has a sword and sorcery theme reflected by the re-orchestrated music and the type of characters used to represent the cast:
Aside from the above variations, the standard paper fortune teller changed over time, mostly to account for cast changes, and once because of censorship:
- "Introduction to Film": Chevy Chase's drawing was changed from a crude pen outline resembling a woman with accentuated circles as breasts, to lips and eyeballs.
- "Biology 101": Jim Rash was added to the list between Donald Glover and Ken Jeong. The opening sequence became slightly faster paced to account for this.
- "Repilot": Chevy Chase's name was taken off the list. The opening sequence was slighty shortened.
- "Analysis of Cork-Based Networking": Donald Glover's name was taken off the list. The opening sequence returned to its original length and its pace was slowed down.
- "Ladders": Yvette Nicole Brown's name was taken off the list. The opening sequence returned to its Season 3 rhythm, but with a slightly different paper fortune teller, with new drawings without names on them added to compensate for the absence of three former cast members, and two of the remaining names and their drawings were moved around:
|Old order||New order|
|Joel McHale||Joel McHale|
|Gillian Jacobs||Gillian Jacobs|
|Danny Pudi||A dragon dunking a basketball on a castle wall|
|Yvette Nicole Brown||Danny Pudi|
|Alison Brie||Alison Brie|
|Donald Glover||A flamingo wearing cowboy boots|
|Jim Rash||Jim Rash|
|Ken Jeong||Two anthropomorphic bananas drinking alcohol|
|Chevy Chase||Ken Jeong|